I’m passionate about helping people discover their gifts, calling and identity. I am curious and excited to discover what reflection of God’s beauty is being displayed in each person. I am like a pirate, digging for buried treasure locked up and buried in the heart of each person I encounter. God has made us all in His image, and He left a piece of His beauty in each of us to be discovered. Finding that beauty, and putting it on display for the world to see is part of the invoice on my life. I have been called and sent by God to teach others about honoring one another. My responsibilities are many, but my heart is focused to finish the race, and live a life of adventure, experiencing life to the fullest because Jesus has come to give it to me. Come journey with me!
I am proud to say that Chico is my hometown. I was raised here, attended Chico schools and CSU Chico. I loved my time growing up as a part of Neighborhood Church, I was very active in the youth groups and college ministry. In 1992 I married my beautiful bride, Linda. We graduated in May from the university, married in July, and moved to Whittier, California in August of that year, to begin work on my masters degree.
Los Angeles is home to Biola University, a Christian university with a rich heritage of 100 years of training men and women in ministry. I am proud to say that I studied at such a distinguished institution. During the time I was in school, I worked in two different churches doing full-time worship ministry. Biola University also gave me an internship leading worship for the university chapels and staffing student outreach ministries. I completed a Masters of Divinity degree at Talbot School of Theology in December 1997.
My ministry at Neighborhood Church began in May of 1998. It is a blessing for me to be back in Chico, in my hometown, and my home church. Because of my longevity in the city doing youth ministry, I feel a little bit like the 'grandpa' of youth ministry. In 2008 I transitioned to a broader pastoral role here, and in early 2011 I became Lead Pastor.
In the spring of 2007 I helped to launch an alternative weekly worship experience that we called "the 9." The 9 helped to bring the future of the church into clear view, and ushered in several key distinctives and values that have framed our historical DNA as a church in a more relevant way. Our current worship gathering in the dome helps us build a community that exists to empower others to be involved, use their God given gifts and talents, and have meaningful spiritual experiences with God. As a musician, I have released four CD’s, and enjoy writing and arranging music. I have three great kids, Katherine, Michael and Amy and my life is full with building legos, singing karaoke, chasing our dog Daisy, and generally being crazy with my wild and wacky family.
Staff oversight, Teaching & Preaching, Leadership development
BA social science, CSUC, 1992 M.Div. Christian Education, Talbot School of Theology at Biola University, 1997
- The fall is my favorite time of year.
- I love traveling, and enjoy photography.
- I am a very enthusiastic sports fan, committed to the SF Giants, California Golden Bears & Green Bay Packers.
- I get so emotionally wrapped up in most movies, I have to limit my "movie intake" so not to be emotionally drained.
- I believe that writing music is hearing the music of heaven and making a note of it; songs are gifts we get from God.
- I ran my first half-marathon in November of 2008 and my second in April 2010.
- I ruptured my achillies tendon in February 2011 and have been recovering after being sergically reconstructed.
- I am very committed to reaching out to the community through my participation in funerals and weddings.
- The perfect vacation includes snorkeling in warm water.
- Recently, people in a doctor's office guessed that my vocation must be either a ski instructor or a hair dresser.